Friday, November 19, 2010
We tried dinner in a pumpkin on Halloween and again the week of Thanksgiving to use up the pumpkin on the porch. I have to say it was pretty good! And my daughter thought it was the coolest thing :o)
* 1 medium sugar pumpkin
* 1 pounds lean ground beef
* 1 pounds ground sausage
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 4 cups tomato juice
* 3 cups shredded cabbage
* 1/2 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
* 1 cup uncooked white rice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Wash pumpkin, cut off top, scrape out seeds and discard.
3. Place hamburger in a large, deep skillet. Crumble and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain fat, add onion and garlic; saute slightly.
4. Add sugar, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, tomato juice and rice; mix thoroughly.
5. Layer inside of pumpkin with 1/3 of cabbage, green beans and beef and rice mixture. Repeat layers, replace lid and bake for 2 to 3 hours.