Please vote for me on Babble's Top 50 Mom Craft Blogs!

Friday, March 11, 2011

General Conference Candy Lei Countdown & Linky Party

General Conference is just a few weeks away and I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to it :o) I think most of us adults enjoy conference, it is the kids we have to convince. Don't get me wrong, my daughter is usually pretty good. She loves the traditions we have over conference weekend, including the conference tent, special meals, and a conference basket with treats and and her conference packet.

It is all exciting the first morning, sitting in her tent with her basket and crayons all ready to listen. And then by afternoon session I am constantly telling her to be quiet so I can hear, and to sit down and stop jumping in front of the screen ;o) I know it is not as fun for kids, and I understand she is a very energetic 7 year old and sitting there that long is HARD so I just try to make it as fun as possible. And that is where all of my fun crafty blogger friends come in.

I would love to see what fun things you have planned for your kids for conference, so I can copy your brilliant ideas of course...;o) Below I am going to start a Conference Idea Linky Party that I would love for you to link your wonderful Conference crafts, recipes, and other ideas to. If you don't have a blog to link feel free to even just leave comments with your ideas because I would love to read them!

And now for one of my ideas... A Conference Candy Lei Countdown.
I personally think kids love countdowns. They are fun! With this countdown, they get to wear it around their neck and munch on a piece of candy during each talk, counting down to the very last one. Or if you like bribing your kids, they could get to eat one after each talk that they LISTEN to ;o)


You will need:
4 ft long piece of plastic wrap cut down the middle lengthwise, you will need just one half, unless you are making 2 :o)
25 pieces of candy (Over the last few conferences there have been 24-26 talks so I went in the middle and added 25 pieces of candy to my lei.)
10 inch pieces of ribbons in coordinating colors

Super easy! Cut your plastic wrap and lie it flat one the table. Line the candy up spaced a tiny bit apart about 2 inches in from the edge of the plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over the candy from the edge, then roll until the candy is completely rolled up. Then take your ribbons and tie and curl between each candy. At the end you will overlap the ends of the plastic wrap over the last piece of candy and use the plastic tie to secure it, making it into a necklace.

Conference Idea Linky Party.
Go ahead and link your conference related crafts, recipes, and ideas. And please link back to me, I would greatly appreciate it :o) And that way other people can find all of our great ideas in one spot too :o)

14 comments:

Vivian said...

What a cool idea!!! Never thought about the idea of a countdown to it. Now you've got me thinking ;)
I don't have one anything for general conference yet but I thought you may like what we did for activity days the other day...
http://unbailefor5.blogspot.com/2011/03/if-ye-are-prepared-ye-shall-not-fear.html

Lindsey said...

This is a great idea! I will definitely have to try this out! Thanks for sharing and linking today. :)

Unknown said...

That is so cute!
I'd love to have you link up to my For the Kids Friday Link Party!

Hop on by!!
http://sunscholars.blogspot.com

Sheena Perron said...

Thanks Aubrie for leaving a comment on my blog telling me about your Linky party. I love the candy lei countdown idea, and I know my kids will too. :)
Thanks!!

Megan said...

looks like a fun idea. I'm all for bribing!

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So creative! I passed this idea on to my neighbor, she was needing ideas for Sunday School. So happy you joined last weeks K.I.S.S. blog bash, your creativity is appreciated. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, drop by & share more inspiring ideas!

Drop by The Tattered Tag

Lolly Jane said...

love this idea! monday is our "family fun" day..care if we re-post this next week?? LOVE it! also linked a super easy kid friendly treat. thanks for hosting! new follower & bookmarked this! (: kelli & kristi

Aubrie said...

Lolly Jane- I would be glad to have you re-post it for your family fun monday :o) Thanks! - Aubrie

Clisty said...

So much fun!! I will have to remember this! LOVE IT!

Found you on the Tip-Me-Tuesday link. If you get a chance check me out. Now following you too!
http://www.ruralgrace.blogspot.com

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Thanks for the invitation! I'll link up again when I post this year's stuff!

Erin said...

So cute! We made these for my daughter's birthday party but I like all the colors in yours better!

Staci J said...

What a great idea! I LOVE all your confrence ideas:) I featured you on my blog today, stop by and grab a button if you'd like!
http://justsewsassy.com/2011/04/01/feature-friday-kids-n-conference/

Megan said...

cute ideas! I was sad to see your linky party was closed, though. I was going to link these toddler ideas: http://inneedofcomfort.blogspot.com/2011/09/general-conference-with-toddlers.html

elisangela.m32 said...

Que ideia maravilhosa! obrigada por compartilhar!! beijo.

Post a Comment